“What is the best battery for a minn kota trolling motor“ this genralized query by an angler requires a lot more to pondering over than expected, so lets delve into details.
The ability to carry the charge in the form of batteries has made every device compatible and handy. Trolling motors are popular among the anglers for its sheer ease of installation & operation,and trolling batteries are the natural equipment for using a trolling motor on a boat.
While Automobile batteries help in engine ignition and power other electronic parts, this light weight trolling motor battery is used in boats & jet skis and they just need to give an instant source of power for the engine to start.
A lightweight trolling battery is what’s most preferred for smaller boats but they usually lose their charging potential over the time of usage, so picking up the right trolling motor, is quite a task.
In the article below, we explore in detail the considerations required to decide the best trolling motor battery and how they fair among a dual purpose or a lithium counterpart.
Lightweight Trolling Motor Batteries - A Quick Look-Up
Best Lightweight Trolling Motor Battery - Factors That Matter
The Battery Types
Mainly the three battery types and their suggested products are discussed in-depth below. There are deep cycle , dual purpose, and lithium-ion lightweight trolling motor batteries. All the three have different functions, battery capacity, power, and quality.
1. Deep Cycle Batteries
These batteries are designed to offer sustained power over a long period of time. Unlike a cranking battery these deep cycle marine batteries intend for deep discharges and charges and feature thicker plates for higher output thereby enduring vibrations.
The Two Most Common Types Are:
Wet-cell lead acid batteries:
These are popular and relatively inexpensive than the other battery types. But they possess a corrosive liquid electrolyte that could be dangerous, flows freely, and floods the plates. For eliminating this the batteries require topping-off with water frequently.
AGM and wet-cell are similar as they both are lead-acid batteries. But one major difference is that the electrolyte is held securely in AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) unlike the wet-cell. These are spill-proof, vibration-resistant, maintenance-free, and costlier than the wet-cell batteries. AGM batteries rate well on durability and performance.
2. Dual Purpose Batteries
These batteries perform a dual function and deliver like the starting and traditional deep cycle batteries.
These types of batteries are a perfect trade-off between the start-up demands for low-amp draw service of deep cycling and power the other electronics on boat for making you experience fishing the entire day.
This is the lightest of all metals and has greatest electrochemical potential. For longest run time and lifespan we suggest these lithium trolling batteries because of following reasons:
These are 70% lighter than lead.
Offer a long life of 3000-5000 cycles.
Require least maintenance.
Need no memory
Trolling Batteries Reviewed
Smallest Deep Cycle Batteries
1. Mighty Max Battery ML18-12
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 18-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 7.13 in x 3.01 in x 6.57 in
- Weight: 11.90 lbs.
- These provide exceptional quality, safety, and support.
- SLA/AGM spill proof battery.
- Rechargeable battery, can be mounted in any position.
- Resists shocks, and vibrations.
- Long lasting high performance.
The Mighty Max is a brand that is not only trustworthy but uses a state-of-the-art, heavy-duty, calcium-alloy grid that provides unprecedented performance. They work well both for float and cyclic applications.
This is an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology that features a valve regulated design. The ML18-12 can be used both for indoor and enclosed environments without any kind of leakages or maintenance.
A maintenance free battery that provides superior performance for a huge variety of models. These can be used for a wide variety of applications like the Power Sports, Solar, Toys, Portable tools, and many others.
This is a spill-proof battery that has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life, and deep discharge recover. You get a 30-day refund policy with a 1-year warranty. Take a look at all of our Mighty Max Battery reviews>>>
It would be better if this could hold charge for long.
2. Mighty Max Battery For Minn Kota Endura C2
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 35-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 7.68 Inches x 5.16 Inches x 7.13 Inches
- Weight: Light-Weight
- Made with the finest materials.
- Quality AGM construction for maximum durability.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position.
- SLA/AGM spill proof battery that can be mounted in any position.
- Backed up by a 30-day refund policy and 1-year warranty.
Mighty Max is a genuine name you can rely on and is another synonym of power. The ML35-12 is a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery. Like the other Mighty Max batteries this is spill proof and comes with a characteristic of a high discharge rate.
This boasts of a long service life, deep discharge recover, and wide operating temperatures. The battery is rechargeable and you can mount it in any position. This resists any sort of shocks and vibrations and offers a long-lasting high performance in high and low temperatures.
The battery and screws remain listed with the product but no wire harness or mounting accessories included. The support team of the company is ready for any assistance that you require.
The battery is small in size.
3. Interstate Batteries 12V 35AH SLA
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 35-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 5.16 x 6.42 x 7.68 inches
- Weight: 22.9 pounds
- Long-lasting performance for various applications.
- Maintenance-free and spill proof.
- Made with AGM and VRLA technology.
- Can be recycled
- Removable handles
- Flexibility of mounting operation.
DCM0035 by Interstate is a Deep-cycle mobility product that fits a number of products. The best part is that this is maintenance-free and made by using VRLA (valve regulated) technology. This feature prevents spilling and over-pressurization.
This flaunts long-life and deep discharge uses for the applications that tend to regularly discharge and recharge your battery. This is a quality product that has passed the rigorous 7-point quality protocol testing of the company. The product exceeds industry standards and is backed by an unmatched 1-year hassle-free warranty.
This is made from professional-grade quality and specially designed for trolling motor boats. These are manufactured keeping the environment in mind and are recyclable.
Not a car battery, though supports many other applications.
4. VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 100-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 12.1″w x 6.7″d x 8.2″h
- Weight: 68 lb.
- Heavy-duty grids for extra margin performance.
- Use an Electrolyte Suspension System.
- Reliable, strong, and offers high-performance
- Long life span
- 100% maintenance free package.
The VMAX MR127 is a battery that is known for its unique physical and chemical structure of its plates. This feature makes them better than the other Pb-Ca plates that are used in similar products.
The physical and electrical advantages are enhanced as these are equipped with specially designed Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) between the VMAX plates. This increases the VMAX resistance to vibrations and shocks. This is classified as non-spillable and non-hazardous as the electrolyte is completely absorbed by the AGM.
The VMAX batteries are sealed and protected in a tough tank with tightly packed plates that delivers a 100% maintenance-free package for the VMAX. They are the favorite choice of any application due to their ability of recovering after repeated deep discharges. Check out our extensive Vmax battery reviews for more options>>>
No drawbacks as such.
5. Vmaxtanks MR107-85 12V 85AH Ideal For Boats
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 18-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 10.2″L*6.6″W*8.3″H
- Weight: 57 Pounds.
- Maintenance-free operations.
- Suitable for both heavy-duty and boats.
- Long battery life.
- 8mm Hex screw-in terminals.
The battery offers an 8mm HEX screw-in terminal with a deep cycle battery specially designed for heavy-duty. The battery also includes carrying handles with a float service span of 8 to 10 years.
Been in the market for so long, it has been trusted by the users. Further, using an electrolyte suspension system helps in high porosity and absorbs complete electrolytes, leaving no contamination of silica gels.
Made perfect for boats and another heavy-duty charge, it comes with lead-tin alloys for an extra margin of performance that enhances cyclic application and the service life even after repeated discharges.
Plus, the battery does not require heavy maintenance, keeps the user at ease, and provides 24*7 customer support.
Some users complain about the charging capacity of the battery.
6. Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind
- Number of Batteries: 12V/ 24V/ 48V Batteries Required.(included)
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 0.48 x 0.26 x 0.33 Inches.
- Weight: 60 Pounds.
- 100% value of money.
- Reliable and consistent power.
- AGM maintenance-free.
- Spill-proof battery.
- Offers one year of warranty.
The cyclic battery is commonly used for solar and emergency backups for homes or offices. You can further connect it with a high-end inverter and to a sump pump.
It powers an inverter (which takes the 12-volt DC and converts that to standard 120 VAC power enabling it to operate for petty household appliances, lighting up the office as a need of an hour, etc.) The battery can either be charged by a wall outlet or solar panels.
The deep cycle application of the battery makes it one of the highest-selling features. Plus, keep in mind that the battery uses AGM that seals the lead-acid battery with extreme plates to handle deep discharge.
Please don’t use the battery for heavy-duty workload as they will not offer high output with the applications like engine start even though the battery is quite heavy.
Usually, users face charge issues.
7. Trojan T31-AGM 12V 100Ah Group
- Voltage: 12 Volts.
- Battery Cell Composition: Lead Acid.
- Item Weight: 69 Pounds.
- Item Dimensions LxWxH: 0.51 x 6.8 x 8.3 inches.
- Perfect for fishing.
- Supports various applications.
- Able to hold the charge for long time.
The Trojan T31 deep cycle AGM battery is a perfect choice for any trolling motor. It is perfectly adept at enduring most applications while still maintaining the flexibility to provide the power that you need when you need it.
With high starting volts and outstanding reserve capacity - very few batteries can compete with this one's versatility.
This battery is perfect for trolling in the tundra or fishing while listening to Icelandic music all day long.
I could not find any.
Dual Purpose Batteries
8. Optima Batteries 8016-103 D34M
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 55-AH (Amp hour)
- Size: 10 x 6.88 x 7.8 inches
- Weight: 43.5 pounds
- Optimal starting power in adverse weather.
- Mountable in virtually any position.
- A great boat and RV battery.
- Reserve capacity of 120 min. for constant performance.
- 15X more resistant to vibration for durability.
- Marine cranking amps – 870 amperes.
- Superior technology and excellent craftsmanship.
When you search for a lightweight deep cycle battery then Optima is the one you would appreciate. The battery is constructed with features that make it more powerful, durable, and overall useful.
The patented Spiral Cell technology is used for making this model. This flaunts the use of using about 100% pure lead and lead-oxide for the spiraled lead plates. Not much maintenance is required by this AGM (automated glass mat battery). They are beautifully crafted and provide high-end performance.
A battery which is a 55 Ah rated unit with 750 cold cranking amps this comes with a unique selling point. Due to its slightly large dimensions this is used in medium to large-sized boats and has a decent weight as compared to the dimensions. Optima makes a number of good batteries. If you’re interested, check out optima batteries review here>>>
A little high-priced product.
9. Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 880 Cold Crank Amp (CCA)
- Size: 13.25 x 11 x 9.5 inches
- Weight: 49.5 pounds
- Vibration resistance
- Longer shelf life.
- Totally maintenance free.
- Delivers more power.
- 40% more reserve capacity.
It is preferred by the boat owners that they want a battery for marine use that has a strong starting power and yet has the ability of withstanding frequent and deep depths of discharge. Traditionally the boat owners had two choices only starting or deep cycle while now they have Odyssey 34M which is a dual purpose battery which is a revolutionary battery with massive cranking power.
This battery is constructed with pure virgin lead plates for maximum surface area with optimized recycling. The battery is an AGM design that prevents any acid spills and offers high conductivity. This features corrosion-resistant tin-plated brass terminals, with high integrity terminal seals.
These batteries pack 15% more surface area as compared to the spiral-wound batteries of equal size. With a long shelf life these can be stored on open circuit without the need for recharging up to 2 years. This is extreme temperature tolerant from -40 degrees Celsius to 80 degrees Celsius.
Appreciated by many users, a great product.
10. VMAX VPG12C-35Li Lithium ION Battery
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 35 Ah (AMP hour)
- Size: 6.5 x 6.9 x 5 inches
- Weight: 7.25 pounds
- Provides a nominal voltage of 14.8 V.
- Features a protection module that protects battery cells.
- LCD display with automatic turnoff.
- Module comes with 2-USB.
The VMAX VPG is a lightest trolling motor battery with an impressive 20-hr capacity. This features a protection circuit module (PCM) which is designed to protect battery cells from overcharging. This PCM disconnects the battery cells to prevent its voltage drop below 11 V.
In case a short circuit is detected the PCM works to disconnect battery cells from the terminals, and this is a great quality. The LCD display can be switched on by pressing a small momentary button and this automatically turns off in 10 seconds. This comes with two USB ports, A 5V, 1A slow charger and a 5V, 2.1A fast charger and operates at varying temperature ranges.
This uses a Li-Smart and Microprocessor controlled charger and the max. Charging current should be done only when the fastest charge is needed. An ideal battery for kayaks and inflatable boats.
The customers just love this product.
11. MMG YTZ10S Z10S Marine Battery
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 300 Cold Crank Amp (CCA)
- Size: 6 x 4 x 5 inches
- Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Less volume and less weight.
- No spill
- Super cranking power
- Saves energy
- Battery capacity indicator feature
- Requires least maintenance
The MMG Lithium ion battery is a perfect combination of performance, safety, and long life. This is a super lightweight marine battery with 1/3 of a normal lead-acid battery. There is no problem of spills as there is no acid inside.
The cranking current is greater than 40 C while the lead-acid battery has 10 C. This saves a lot of energy as it has a stable discharge voltage and lower4 internal resistance. The MMG offers an exceptional cycle life with more than 2000 cycles under JISD standard (lead-acid battery 150-300 cycles).
This doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals like mercury, lead, cadmium, or mercury and is safe for the environment. This recharges incredibly faster and offers superb performance at high temperatures of 60-80 C. The battery capacity indicator feature is another help and this comes with a one-time replacement warranty of 6-months.
Super light, has to be handled with care.
12. FirePower Featherweight Lithium Battery
- Voltage: 12 V
- Battery Capacity: 105 Cold Crank Amp (CCA)
- Size: 4.9 x 2.6 x 4.5 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
- Made with Lithium Ion Polymer Technology.
- Extremely light in weight
- Long shelf life
- Can be mounted in any position
- Increased cranking amps
FirePower is smallest 12v trolling motor battery and also light as a feather which is made from Lithium Ion Polymer technology. All the battery components are designed, manufactured, assembled, and packed in one location convincing consistency with high quality.
This flaunts being 50% to 70% lighter than the standard batteries. Features a built-in LED test gauge and provides increased cranking amps over lead acid batteries. This recharges fast and can be easily brought up to 90% charge within 6 months’ time.
This offers 6 to 12 times more cycle life compared to the lead acid batteries. This has no hazardous acids, heavy metals, and this is non-explosive and non- combustible. The product comes with a warranty of 2-years and features more precise fitments as compared to the other lithium battery brands.
Great battery in the list of lightweight ones.
How To Choose An Ideal Marine Battery For Trolling Battery
When it comes to choosing trolling motor batteries, there are a few things you will need to consider: Battery type, battery amperage hour rating and budget.
Depending on the transmission medium, chemistry, and electrolyte, there are four different batteries used for trolling motors i.e.
- Flooded Battery
- Gel Battery
- AGM Battery
- Lithium-Ion Battery
Choice of any of these batteries depends upon one's fishing condition, power requirements, charging cycles, and so on. In the above 4 mentioned batteries, flooded battery and AGM battery are the most common types of batteries available in the market.
Wet cell lead-acid batteries are the standard type of batteries that are pretty easy to encounter. The use of liquid electrolytes, usually in water, to flood the lead plates resulting in the most common form of battery used for ages.
Albeit, they weigh a lot and tend to be heavier than AGM. Plus, require more maintenance than any other type of battery. Corrosion is also one of the common issues that need to be addressed while mentioning the details of the battery.
Whereas in comparison, AGM deep cycle batteries are fully sealed and require less fluid maintenance. Plus, an AGM battery usually offers a longer lifespan as well, providing the worth of every single penny you are invested in.
- Trolling batteries are rated by Amperage Hours, usually abbreviated. Ah, a measurement of how long your battery will run your boat motor while it’s drawing a definite number of amps. It is typically best to go with the maximum rating you can manage, which will fit your boat.
- If you have a 12-volt motor for a case, you will undoubtedly want a battery with the uppermost ampere hour rating you can use. As you only have one battery, you want to be assured that you can run your electric motor as long as likely without draining the battery.
Volt System Of Trolling Motor:
- Electric trolling motor comes in three different power systems: 12, 24, or 36 volts. To make it simpler to understand, a 12-volt motor is run off of 12 volts marine battery.
- For a 24-volt motor to work, it should be run off two different batteries, and a 36-volt type needs three.
- If your boat is 16 feet or a smaller one, a high thrust 12-volt model will be acceptable for your encounter conditions. If your boat is a little long, moving up to a 24 or 36volt system is the only way to go for hassle-free boating.
- Trolling or electronic motors, use battery power in command to propel a boat. The amount of strength or power required to move through the water is defined as “pounds of thrust.” This power rating is usual to all motors on the marketplace and is one of the most vital aspects to consider when choosing the suitable unit to match your craft. With inadequate power behind you, working your boat through wind, weedy conditions, or high waves can be all but impossible.
- The thrust of a trolling motor is a very vital aspect to be considered for purchasing a battery. So, the requisite power from the battery depends on the trolling motor thrust. The amp hour rating of the trolling battery should be more if more thrust is wanted.
Boat Size & Weight:
- Boat size and weight is an additional significant aspect to be considered while selecting and buying a good trolling motor battery. The additional size of the boat, the more thrust is needed, so more power is required. But more power doesn’t mean the battery is supposed to be large and heavy.
- The area on the boat for the battery is a significant essential point. If there is less space for a battery, you must buy a smaller size battery. Adding extra weight to the boat might reduce its speed.
- AGM batteries are not a decent option for smaller size boats with less space, as AGM batteries need stable mounting on the boat. So, ordinary small trolling motor batteries are the preferred choice for small size boats.
Size Of The Battery:
- Like other factors, it is also one of the critical determinants to balance cost and quality. It could be subjective too, but experts usually suggest a direct correlation between the run time and the cost of the trolling motor battery.
- In simple terms, the more the run time, the more expensive the battery is going to be. Follow a good rule of thumb that tends to provide a higher amperage rating, longer run time, keep all the other considerations at best.
Manufacturing & Warranty:
- One of the most important aspects to be considered is the manufacturing date of the trolling battery. It would help if you always chose the latest trolling batteries. Plus, they assure you that the battery you are going to purchase is authentic and meets the quality standards; otherwise, they are ready to pay you back.
- There are a few warranty periods for all kinds of batteries. You can at least expect a warranty period of 3 months or at a max of the lifetime. Some battery offers a full rated warranty, and some offer a pro-rated warranty. You should precisely review the warranty of the product.
Price Of The Trolling Battery:
- Pricing of the battery is one of the essential elements before purchasing a trolling motor battery. Nowadays, there are varieties of batteries available in the marketplace at a wide range of price. It is not always correct that the high-level pricing battery is good. The truth is that even a high level may be disastrous due to the leaking of acids.
- On the other hand, the truth is that the permanence of the battery depends on the attention and maintenance of the battery. It would help if you went for the most battery that is in reach with your budget.
Most batteries use an Amp Hour or Ah as a standard measuring unit. This measures how long a battery will maintain with a constant output. Majority batteries available in the market with come with this rating, that allows you to calculate an average lifespan of the battery:
- Divide the RC (reserve capacity) by 2.4. This will help you to get the estimated amp hour rating.
For instance, a battery with1600 RC, will follow as:
- Divide 1600 by 2.4, or 1600/2.4 = 66.6Ah.
- The leading us to a conclusion that an ampere is how much electricity the motor will pull from the battery.
- The max possible speed and thrust of the motor battery will determine the amount of energy drawn. For instance, 50Ah (amps per hour / 52 amps drawn = .96 hours of run-time on your battery.
How Long A Battery Can Run A Trolling Motor
Let’s Find Out
This happens sometimes that trolling motor batteries might be heavy to use, especially when it concerns inflatable sit in or sit on top tandem kayaks and boats. Even the personal pontoon boat owners get benefit from light-weighted batteries.
We Have To Understand This
The AGM batteries come with a good power capacity, and if they are light in weight then won’t be able to store more energy. With less energy storage the Amp rating per hour will belower as compared to the batteries of larger size.
The lithium batteries have 3 to 4 times less weight than the other AGM batteries. But the price of lithium batteries is very high.
The time duration a lightweight trolling motor battery can run a motor is dependant mainly on two major things:
The trolling motor thrust
Your speed setting
The batteries of light weight which range from 30-35 AH range can power motors which have around 35 lb thrust. The adequate strength is required before you can enjoy boat trip.
For calculating how long a battery runs a motor, the set-up has to be analysed
A Minn Kota trolling motor featuringa 30 lb thrust will be able to draw a maximum of 30 amp
An AGM battery of 35 amp
A battery of 50 AH also
The link can be referred to, for seeing the run time calculation
If you run the motor at a full speed, then it will draw a maximum of 30 amps in an hour. In this case the battery will be drained in a little more than an hour.
If the motor runs at half speed, then will be drawing 15 amps per hour, and the runtime will be approximately of 2:20 minutes.
If the motor runs at a low speed, will make it draw 5 amps per hour, and you will get a run time of complete 7 hours.
We can see that changing speed levels along with a light weight battery effects its runtime.
Also Read: 9 Lightest & Smallest Trolling Motor Batteries Ever [Updated] 2021
How Can A Trolling Motor Runtime Be Increased?
The battery usage decides the performance of a trolling motor. Personally, speaking a simple formula for this is - Performance = Usage.
Try To Remember The Undermentioned
Try not to run the motor at the highest thrust, as that will lead to the draining of battery very rapidly, and a capacity reduction of 10 to 15%.
You can set a motor speed of 2-3, mostly while using it. This will save your battery charge and won’t let it drain so quickly.
The changing speed patterns speedily can also affect the performance of battery and the cost of power. It is advisable to change the speed gradually, rather than giving sudden twists.
The more we care; the more is the life of a battery. A well-maintained battery will give you more time to enjoy on the waters. Care well for your batteries, as you will be the ultimate benefiter.
The AGM batteries are supposed to be the best and come with a very low maintenance, rather we can say are maintenance free. A few more things to consider:
The battery should always be kept charged, while not in use. As there are chances of discharged batteries to sulfate. Henceforth, the capacity and service life of your battery will be lowered.
A good quality charger will certainly add advantage and the power supply of the charger should be around 10 to 20% of the amp hour capacity of the battery. A charger of 4-6 amp is sufficient for a 35 AH battery.
After following the above guidelines, you will be in a comfortable state to increase a trolling motor batteries run time and as well as maintain them with a longer life span. The performance and efficiency of the battery will also increase.
Benefits of Trolling Motor Battery
Trolling motor batteries have many benefits over daily life batteries, even on marine batteries. Trolling motor batteries are more reliable and credible. If you have the best trolling motor battery on board, then you can roam carefree almost everywhere, due to their heavy-duty performance. They’re bit expensive as compared to other marine batteries but gives a top performance, for which the other batteries are no match. There are oodles of benefits of having the best trolling motor battery, let’s have a look on them.
We hope that the above suggestions will prove beneficial for you. Selecting the one that suits your preference is just one step away.
Make your boating or kayaking an unforgettable experience as the batteries we discussed about in the write-up above will never let you down. Do check the amp-hour rating, size, weight, type, and cycle life before you invest your hard-earned money.