Trolling motors are the soul of a boat. Without a good trolling motor, you could miss all the fun to be in the water. The market is full of trolling motors which are cheap, light, but fail to deliver the desired performance. Saltwater trolling motor are heavy-duty trolling motors, specially designed for anti-corrosive nature in the saltwater. They’re used where rough handling and usage is required, mainly in saline water. I am going to tell you 3 best trolling motors, let’s have a look on them.
Best Saltwater Trolling Motors – Comparison Chart
Best Saltwater Trolling Motor Reviews
1. Newport Vessels NV-Series Saltwater Electric Trolling Motor
The Newport Vessels NV-Series Saltwater Trolling Motor has 36 pounds of thrust, for your kayaks, inflatable boats, dinghies, tenders, fishing boats, aluminum fishing boats, and inflatables with a transom. The trolling motor is made of full stainless steel hardware which is designed for anti-corrosion actions. The boat ensures maximum performance even if it is saline water. Read More
- It produces a thrust of 36 pounds, which is pretty good, for this segment. This amount of thrust is suitable for boating in regular as well as fairly rough seasons.
- The motor has aluminum head w/6-inch telescoping handle apt and easy for proper steering and maneuverability.
- It comes with 8 different speeds, 5 forward and 3 backward. This gives you the choice of moving with different speed, while fishing, or doing some work while on the boat
- Carbon built, lightweight shaft is extremely durable of heavy usage. The 30-inch shaft is really easy to use and durable. It could be adjusted according to the height. The holder can be used on almost all the boats, even on inflatable ones.
- Its two-blade propeller is quite sturdy, durable and lightweight.
- 5-Point LED battery meter gives you the correct reading about the battery life left.
- The performance of the motor is way better than you could expect from a 36 lbs thrust motor. It is made for really heavy-duty usage. The smooth handling of the motor will give you the real experience of boating. Overall the motor is made for performance and durability. It is a must buy if you want a motor in 36 lbs. range.
- It gets its juice from 12-volt deep cycle battery. The deep cycle is recommended, as they are optimal in case of trolling motors.
2. Minn Kota Riptide 55 SP Saltwater Trolling Motor
This Minn Kota Riptide 55 SP Saltwater Motor is made for pure performance, and with its solid body, it is seawater compatible. The motor produces a thrust of 55 pounds, which is very pushy for the boat. The dimension of the motor is71.2 x 19 x 10 inches weighing 10 pounds. This bow mount trolling motor has many advanced features, let roll over eyes upon them. Read More
- With re-engineered electric steer control, now you can steer better without any fuss. The steering of the motor has got better, which gives optimal performance even at high speeds.
- The CoPilot hand control is inbuilt when you get this motor after shipping. It helps in better control with hands and does things with very high accuracy.
- The optional redesigned foot pedal is available. The new foot pedal is better than ever. With very sensitive foot controls, now you can take the full control of the motor with just your foot.
- Along with this, it has digital maximizer, which could be really helpful in getting more charge from the battery, as it only delivers the power needed by the motor, nothing more, and nothing less.
- With New Deploy-Assist Lever, press it, and you’re ready to go. This help in quick movements required in fishing
- The unit doesn’t sound much while working, in fact not at all. The quite power deliverance to the shaft ensures you enjoy sound free boating.
- The shaft of the motor is composite and almost indestructible. It is extremely durable and reliable.
- A sacrificial anode is integrated for better saltwater protection. Also, all the electronic components are protected by a plastic cover. The paint is done by thoroughly cleaning the alloy, and then protecting against saltwater by protection powder paint.
3. Newport Vessels 55 Pound Thrust 8 Speed Electric Trolling Motor
This Newport trolling motor has a very good amount of thrust, featuring same specifications as the above mentioned Newport trolling motor. The shaft is however made from carbon fiber, with heavy-duty nylon mount. The hardware of Newport Vessels 55 Pound thrust Trolling Motor is made from stainless steel, perfect for use in saltwater. Read More
- The motor produces a thrust of 55 pounds, which is pretty good, for the segment of the motor. This amount of thrust is suitable for boating in regular as well as fairly rough reasons.
- The motor has aluminum head w/6-inch telescoping handle. This kind of handle is easy for proper steering and usage.
- The motor can revolve in 8 different speeds, 5 forward and 3 backward. This gives you the choice of moving with different speed, while fishing, or doing some work while on the boat
- The shaft is lightweight, made of carbon fiber, extremely durable of heavy usage. The 30-inch shaft is really easy to use and durable. It could be adjusted according to the height. The holder can be used on almost all the boats, even on inflatable ones.
- The propeller is two blades, very durable and light.
- 5-Point LED battery meter gives you the correct reading about the battery life left.
- The performance of the motor can be estimated that it has a 55lbs thrust motor. It is made for really heavy-duty usage. That kind of thrust is suitable for rough use. The smooth handling of the motor will give you the real experience of boating. Overall the motor is made for performance and durability. It is a must buy if you want a motor in 55 lbs. range.
- You can try Minnkota for better options like food pedal, but this motor is way ahead of many in the segment.
- The trolling motor runs from a 12-volt deep cycle battery. Deep cycle battery help in giving most out of the trolling motor.
Click here to check our collection of other electric boat motor reviews in the US market.
Choosing The Top Saltwater Trolling Motor
If you love water sports, then you know about boat motors and accessories needed by a transom boat. These motors come in every shape and size. They are different in many features, interlocking, positioning, and controls.
Saltwater motors are designed to work in hard, ionic, and salty water, which can damage the shaft, motor, and impeller. This is due to the fact that salt degrades metal items due to reactions and friction. So these motors work well if you’re riding a boat in the saltwater area. These motors have specially designed parts, mainly from alloys, to work in extreme conditions. They have high durability than normal motors.
How Do They work?
They seem normal from the outside, but what differs them from others is their body part. They work the same as other trolling motors. We.ln you install them and connect to the battery, you can simply control the throttle by the handle, or foot control. The battery powers the motor, which further rotates the shaft. This is the normal functioning of a trolling motor. The saltwater motors have better resistance to the salt, motorhead is sealed perfectly, and is indestructible. There is a microprocessor present in the control unit, which provides variation in speeds, in the backward and forward direction. Motorhead is consist of alloys, and parts made by aluminum, zinc and stainless steel. They are perfect components for durability.
They have lots of features and are the most durable type of motors present in the market. They have better performance in real-time situations, where you need to get your boat out of harsh water. Let’s see their features
Strong Shaft And Motor Head: Every saltwater battery has indestructible shaft and motorhead. It is due to the fact that these motors need to work in heavy-duty situations. Mostly the shaft is made from aluminum, or stainless steel, having industrial standards. Further, the bracket lock system is designed to get locked without any problem. Most of the companies provide a lifetime warranty on the shaft and impeller and a couple of years working of motor. This is to make sure that they make extremely quality products possible.
Handling: Usually, saltwater motors have better sensitivity of the steering handle. Whether they’re foot control or throttle, you can expect to run them better, and steer well. This is due to their smooth design of the handle. If you compare handling between saltwater motors and normal trolling motors, you will find that saltwater ones have a low radius of turning and turn the boat completely, at very low speed also. Whereas, normal trolling motors struggle to do so.
Power: Saltwater motors come in thrust level of the 36-55 range, which is above the average thrust level of 30 pounds. You will find the difference on thrust level, once you install it in the boat. No matter how fast the water current and high tides are, they can get you out of any type of water movements. Though, if you want to use saltwater for heavy-duty purposes, it is recommended you to buy thrust level of 50 or above. The power is enough to carry 6-7 persons at the top speed of 6.5 km per hour. Go here to check trolling batteries that might be a good match your trolling motor.
Power Consumption: All trolling motors have different consumption of power, but if we talk about saltwater particularly, they have comparatively high power consumption, but that’s only for the benefit. It provides better performance in harsh waters. You can trust this motor in any type of waters. Thus, saltwater motors are heavy-duty motors.
Benefits of Saltwater Trolling Motor
As you know now that, saltwater motors have lots of features, and these features collectively make lots of benefits. Let’s discuss them in detail.
Durability: It is the most important benefit of saltwater motors. They automatically have better life expectancy due to industrial-grade material used in all working parts. Parts are made of zinc, aluminum, and steel to make the perfect combination of durability and strength. They’re the most durable type of motors present in the market. if you’re considering traveling far away on your boat, it is preferable to buy saltwater motors, because they are reliable.
Performance: Everybody knows that they are a better performer than other types of motors. This is due to the fact that they have good thrust level than average motors. Coupled with a good marine battery, these motors can provide optimal utilization for your fishing trips. This thinking makes every company install motors with good thrust. They’re well equipped with performance accessories, and impellers are designed well, full transferring the power.
Maintenance: Due to indestructible parts used, they have a very low cost of maintenance. You just have to oil the parts and set for your journey to the water. Mainly, the lock mechanism gets broken due to negligence in installing. But most of these motors are equipped with a bracket lock mechanism, which is strong enough for rough usage. So overall, they’re an only one-time investment, and you don’t have to spend unnecessary money on anything, except the battery, of course.
Cost-effective: They’re valued for money products, mainly because they offer features at low cost, and also very durable. If you compare a saltwater motor to a normal one, you would find better construction, material, and performance in saltwater motors. You can buy a good motor under 200 dollars, that too having plenty of features. The warranty period for these motors is also more than normal motors.
Now you can easily come to the conclusion that saltwater motors are a better performer than normal trolling motors. They are specially made to perform in heavy-duty conditions. Their body doesn’t get degraded even after prolonged contact with saltwater. They hardly get rust from the surroundings. So if you’re considering buying a motor, it is suggested to go for saltwater motors. They have extended features and benefits than any other type. You can invest in them, in return, expect good performance.