Marine batteries are connected to the trolling motors by the help of switches for a better connection, an option of turning them off when you want. These switches are of great help in maintaining the connection and protecting the batteries from draining due to unnecessary work. These switches cut the connection of one battery, while other is on work, for charging. For that, you have to connect the batteries one by one to the switches. This is of great help when you want to immediately charge the low the battery.
Top-Rated Marine Battery Switches Comparison Chart
Top 3 Best Marine Battery Switch Reviews
How do Marine Battery Switch Works?
The basic function of the switch is to cut the power or make the circuit depending upon which side it is connected. But marine switches are slightly different than normal switches. Whereas normal switches purely cut the power, marine switches cut the power of one battery, or another or all, depending upon the knob. This particular thing helps in switching the drained batteries, charging them, or connecting a new one.
All the batteries are connected to the switch, and the switch has three positions(normally) 1,2, all and off. When the knob is on 1, the first battery is connected in the circuit, and all connections are broke. When the switch is at 2, the battery which is second in the circuit is connected, all for all batteries and off is the totally incomplete circuit position. The secret of working lies in the wires which are connected to the switch. Each battery should be individually connected to the switch by wires. Then switch does the job of breaking the circuit. The procedure is really simple, just like a normal switch, but has few modifications.
Benefits of Using Boat Battery Switches
There are many benefits of a switch; they’re an integral part of the motor circuit. They play the role of completing the circuit and breaking it.
- They protect the circuit from malfunctions like overheating, short circuit, fire and many more. Had there been the connection open, it would break by the short action of the force. So in a way, the switch acts as a protector for the circuit.
- The switch helps in changing the route of the current of one battery and another, depending upon the knob. Marin switches are designed to work simultaneously, while the power of one battery is cut down. This helps in replacing drain and old batteries.
- Switch save the hustle and bustle of opening wire, and joining to another, when the battery gets low. You can simply shift the knob, and your job is done.
- They help in preventing unnecessary power usage caused by the absence of a switch, a direct connection will keep the motor running.
- They are comparatively safe, open wires can be dangerous, it can give mild electric shocks, which could divert your attention to something else
- The switch is the part that you should have in your boat. It is among must-haves.
How To Choose The Right Boat Battery Switch?
Choosing the right switch for your boat is art. There are so many varieties of the switch in the market that you may need double-check what you’re buying. There are some points that you should check while making the final decision.
If you’re using more than two batteries than you need to get the switch with more number of knobs. Usually, two batteries switch are used, but the choice is always yours to increase them.
The hardness of the switch depends upon the plastic used, and if the case is made of industrial-grade plastic, then it is a must go. Simple plastic can crack by simple accidents.
You should go for the switch which is highly durable, I mean; wear and tear should be less on heavy-duty. These kind of switches are hard to find but worth the hard work. Pins should be made of high tensile alloys, for hardness and conductivity.
They’re important while looking for a switch. Make sure they’re of high quality and durable enough.
Design of the switch should be great, it should be easily installed, and the knob should twist in the right way. Else, you’re going to get some problems.
Thanks for the valuable tips by Coda Electrical who are one of the top-rated Electrician in Moorebank area