Marine batteries should be handled with care, else they will leak, get short circuit due to water, or could get damaged by corrosion in contact of surroundings. If the battery is kept open, there are million possible ways of getting damaged, but if it is sealed in a good battery box you can expect a long life span of the battery and better performance. Battery box helps in securing connections, battery case and many little things in a battery. I would recommend some of the best marine battery boxes below.
Top Selling Boat Battery Boxes – Comparison Chart
Detailed Reviews On 5 Best Battery Boxes For Boats
1. MinnKota Small Battery Box For Trolling Motor
The case comes from a well-known brand Minnkota. The case is ideal for 12 volts acid charged batteries or batteries of similar sizes. It is designed to fit group 24- and 27-size batteries. The motor center present is ideal for small-boat transom applications. The battery box has connection terminals which are easily accessible for connecting leads. The box has a meter that shows the state of charge, along with the amount of charge present. The box comes with a pair of 12-volt accessory plugs and manual reset circuit breakers. The box is made of hard plastics, to withstand drops and accidents.
Related Links: Marine dual Battery Switches
2. NOCO HM318BK Snap-Top Battery Box
The box is made of heavy-duty grade plastic specially designed for Automotive and more. The battery size suitable for the box is single group 24-31 type batteries. the design of the box is really a plus, it is unique patented design; it has to lock tabs to securely fasten the lid and the base, hard handles to prevent cracking during moving, and vent caps to ensure it is waterproof. So it can withstand heavy-duty use; withstands acid, gas, oil and other contaminants, and immune to UV exposure.
3. UPG 40790 Black Marine Smart Box
The battery box is made from high-density plastics specially made for shock resistance. The plastic used is Heavy-duty polypropylene, an industrial-grade synthetic. The battery box has a battery status LED indicator, which could help in knowing the real-time state of the battery. The box has 2 external 12 VDC auxiliary plugs. The straps which are used for holding the box to the boat are really good and heavy-duty. Overall, it is a nice battery box, which such a low price, a must buy if you want durability.
4. Attwood Standard Boat Dual Battery Box
This box is a beast in terms of durability. It has a Polypropylene case for total acid attack prevention. The Hold-down straps integrated can resist up to 350 pounds of force, nearly four times the requirement. The box can fit large size batteries also and available in vented and non-vented battery box for standard size, series 24 batteries. Attwood tests their Battery Boxes in temperatures ranging from -20DegreeF to +120DegreeF by dropping them hard. The accessories and hardware used for mounting are packed along with the box easy installation
5. NOCO HM485 Dual Battery Box Marine
It is heavy-duty commercial-grade battery box for Automotive, Marine, RV and more. The battery box can hold two 8D batteries. The design has a unique four-corner fastening system and captive lid for easy installation of the battery, large cable entry holes are there in case of large cable connections required. The ventilation is there for releasing battery gases from large battery acid storage. The box has an impact-resistant down to minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit. It can withstand acid, gas, oil and other contaminants, and immune to UV exposure.
Benefits of Using Marine Battery Box
- Battery boxes are extensively used for protection of the battery. They’re a great substitute for extra care while handling, and all the fake protections around batteries. They can absorb shock during a fall by accident.
- They also help in protecting surrounding by avoiding the contact of acid in case of any leakage. Leakage can damage boats and its parts, but if a battery box is there, you can use it carefree.
- A box around the battery makes it easy to handle throughout the journey; you can just lift it up with the handles attached with the case. You can easily recharge the battery by getting it down from the board and vice versa.
- They are helpful in giving us an indication of how much charge is left in the battery. The led indicators are provided in most of the battery boxes.
- They can join the battery to the base of the boat, some battery boxes have strap ones that help in the process.
- The battery box looks nice, and also reduces the cost of maintenance of the battery, giving maximum protection against water. The performance of the battery, overall increases, due to the increase in the durability factor.
How to Choose The Right Marine Battery Box?
Choosing the right marine box is a hard task, because you may not know what is going to happen to your battery in the future, so it is better to have a good one. Below are some points which you should consider while buying a marine battery box.
Plastic: Hardness depends upon the plastic used, and if the case is made of industrial-grade plastic, then it is a must go. Simple plastic can crack by only one strike of the hammer.
LED Indicator: It should be present to know the state of the charge of the battery, as to make out when to charge the battery.
Straps: to connect the battery, to close the lid, to connecting it to the base, everything should have straps in order to prevent free-flowing of the whole box on the boat.
Durability: They should be drop tested, under extreme temperature conditions, usually minus 20 Fahrenheit. The rugged design should be preferred for rigidity. The box should also bear acid attacks, corrosion, and UV.
Design: it should be easy to understand, connect to the battery and unique to avoid any fuss caused. It is an important factor in governing the right battery box.
- Best Trolling Motor Battery Review & Buying Guide
- Best Trolling Motor Reviews & Buying Guide
- Best Saltwater Trolling Motor Reviews
- Good Marine Battery Review & Buying Guide
- Top-rated Boat Battery Charger
Other Boat Accessories We have Talked About